Bridgton & Saco River

The Bridgton & Saco River Railroad was chartered in 1881. Construction was started in Hiram at the standard gauge Maine Central in July 1882. George Mansfield also had a hand in the B&SR. He built the 16 mile road in six months, and in 1889 the road was extended to Harrison. In 1912 the railroad was taken over by the Maine Central. In 1928, the Bridgton & Harrison Railway Company bought the B&SR, but business had been falling off so the line between Bridgton and Harrison was discontinued. In the 1930s the railfan movement and special excursions kept the railroad going. The last train ran in September of 1941.  Find more information from the Bridgton Historical Society and an extensive history of the Bridgton and Saco River Railroad at Wikipedia.

Next:  Monson Railroad
Back: Small Trains in a Big State

Share/Bookmark