Kennebec Central

The fourth of the two-footers, the Kennebec Central, was built solely to serve the National Soldiers’ Home at Togus (now the Togus VA Medical Center) in Chelsea near Augusta. The line was open to traffic in 1890 and carried visitors to and from the Home. Special events such as weekly band concerts and popular baseball games, kept the line busy. Freight was chiefly coal. Passenger service flourished until the road’s demise in 1929, brought on by the advent of trucks hauling coal, proving freight to be more important.  More information on the Kennebec Central narrow gauge railroad is available from the Old Narrow Gauge Volunteer Trail.

Next:  Wiscasset & Quebec (Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington)
Back: Small Trains in a Big State

Share/Bookmark