Monson Railroad

The third of the two footers was the Monson Railroad, also known as the “two by six” because it was only six miles long. The Monson Railroad was a slate hauler and ran from the quarry near Monson to Monson Junction. The guiding hand in the Monson was H. E. Morrill, Superintendent of the railroad. He retired in 1938 and the road did not last long after that, being abandoned in 1943. Fortunately for railfans everywhere, two of the Monson engines, #3 and #4, were saved from scrappers and now run in Portland and Phillips (Sandy River).

More information on the Monson Railroad can be found at the following web sites:
Monson Railroad – extensive history at Wikipedia
Maine Memory Network – photos of Monson Station and trains
Abandoned Rails – map of the Monson RR.
Monson Section – WW&F Discussion forum.
Monson, Maine – Town web site, including history

Next:  Kennebec Central
Back: Small Trains in a Big State

Share/Bookmark