The small lighthouse in the harbor is the Portland Breakwater Light, nicknamed Bug Light from the time it was built in 1875. The light is no longer operated, but is easily accessible from Bug Light Park, which includes a memorial to the Liberty Ships built at the South Portland shipyard during World War II and is also the home of the South Portland Historical Society. The park is a very popular spot for kite-flying, biking, walking and picnics.
The larger lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor at the end of a long (300 yards) breakwater is the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse. It was built in 1897 and the breakwater was added in 1951. The lighthouse is open for tours on Saturdays and some Sundays during summer months.