We are non-profit organization with many active volunteers! Museum volunteers operate the trains, interpret history to visitors, restore historic equipment, work on steam locomotives, design and build exhibits and help with special events. Some of our volunteer opportunities are described below. Please contact Volunteer Coordinator Jennifer Halm-Perazone, at 207-828-0814 or email if you would like more information on how you can volunteer your time and talents with the museum!
- Train Crew – Train rides are the biggest part of our visitors’ experience. The trains are entirely operated by volunteers. No prior experience necessary, we provide the training to become a brakeman, conductor or engineer.
- Railroad Department - Engine and train service, track and mechanical maintenance and repair.
- Facility Management – cleaning and maintaining the premises with minor electrical and plumbing repairs.
- Education – educating the public is the primary function of the museum and includes program development, outreach to schools and groups, and interpretation of the museum collection and exhibits.
- Museum – collection management involves archiving as well as planning and maintaining displays and exhibits.
- Restoration – the collection is primarily historic railroad cars needing preservation and some restoration.
- Special Events and Other Opportunities